Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Horror Icon #1

Sarah Michelle Gellar
Born: April 14, 1977, New York
Married to Freddie Prinze Jr.

Horror Movies/Television Shows:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer T.V. series (1997-2003)
- Buffy Summers

Angel T.V. series (1999-2000)
- Buffy Summers

I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997)

- Helen Shivers

Scream 2 (1997)
- Casey "Cici" Casper

The Grudge (2004)
- Karen Davis

The Grudge 2 (2006)
- Karen Davis

The Return (2006)
- Joanna Mills

The "Others":
All My Children T.V. series (1993-1995)
- Kendall Hart Lang
Small Soldiers (1998)
- Voice of Gwendy Doll
Simply Irresistible (1999)
- Amanda Shelton
Cruel Intentions (1999)
- Kathryn Merteuil
Harvard Man (2001)
- Cindy Bandolini
Scooby Doo (2002)
- Daphne Blake
Scooby Doo 2:Monsters Unleashed (2004)
- Daphne Blake
TMNT (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) (2007)
- Voice of April O'Neil
Suburban Girl (2007)
- Brett Eisenberg
Happily N'ever After (2007)
- Voice of Ella
The Air I Breathe (2007)
- Sorrow

It was a tough choice to select my first ever "Horror Icon of the Week", but Sarah won out (Second choice will be the next icon). Sarah Michelle Gellar is best known for her role as Buffy in the television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's probably one of my favorite T.V. shows ever. I fell in love with her from day one. Luckily for me she has gone on to work in the horror movie industry taking on more roles.

If Jamie Lee Curtis was the original "Scream Queen" of horror movies, then is Sarah the new generation's "Scream Queen"? I've thought about it many times before, but I believe "yes".

In the mid-nineties when Scream hit it big in the theaters and revitalized the horror industry, many people were looking for the next "Scream Queen". Neve Campbell, the star of the Scream movies, never really did any notable horror movies outside of the Scream movies and The Craft, so her run at the "Scream Queen" title never got going.

The year after Scream came out, another horror movie franchise started, I Know What You Did Last Summer. Sarah played a supporting role to the lead actress, Jennifer Love Hewitt. Jennifer was the next logical choice for the title, but quickly left the horror movie industry after the sequel I Still Know What You Did Last Summer came out in 1998.

Considering that Sarah has been in both franchises and even got a franchise of her own (The Grudge) almost ten years later, I believe if there is a next generation "Scream Queen" it is Sarah Michelle Gellar. Whether or not people agree with me, too bad. That's why I gave her the nod for my first "Horror Icon of the Week". And she's
hot!

No comments: