Sunday, October 5, 2008

Review #81: Mulberry Street (2006)


Cast/Notable Credits:
Jim Mickle (Director)

Nick Damici (Clutch): World Trade Center (2006)

Antone Pagan (Peter): Stripes (1981)


Trailer:





Plot:

A deadly infection spreads across Manhattan causing people to devolve into rats. And then the rats bite people, turning them subsequently into zombie-human-rats. The vicious cycle goes round and round as the Manhattan population encounters the infected. The film focuses and revolves around six tenants at an apartment building and explores their survival story as they fight off the zombie-rats attacking Manhattan. One of the tenants daughter is returning home from the military and she battles the outbreak elements as she ventures through Manhattan trying to get home. Mulberry Street refers to the street that the six tenants live on.

Mulberry Street was one of the After Dark Horrorfest 07' 8 Films to Die For selection. I loved the idea of the Horrorfest, but so far my reception of the films that I've seen has been very bleak. I think that Showtime's Masters of Horror series is actually better compared to the Horrorfest's movies. I've seen 6 of the 8 released for the 06' festival (
Dark Ride review) and 2 of the 07's 8. And I've enjoyed probably about three of them and just didn't really care for the rest. This film rates as the best one that I've seen so far.

I love zombie movies in general. There's no secret about it. Honestly I haven't gotten around to reviewing my favorite ones, but eventually I will. This movie is kinda like 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, and Willard mixed into one. So for me this film was pretty good. Any type of end of the world zombie disaster movie is alright in my book. Besides, how can anyone go wrong with zombie-human-rats? Especially zombie-human-rats taking over New York. No answer? That's what I thought.

The characters are pretty sub par, but that didn't matter, it actually reflected better that way in the film. The apartment tenants were just a bunch of average day "Joe's" fighting the elements. No real character development or attachment. Again, didn't matter. Did I really care for any of them? No. But the actors/actresses playing the parts did a fine job in their roles.

Most zombie movies have similar plots and endings. I thought M.Street delivered some new ideas to a genre which I've thought that I've seen it all. First of all, I liked the ending of the film. Most zombie flicks pretty much end the film look end of the worldish. M.Street kept the outbreak isolated to the island of Manhattan and eventually our slow acting government stepped in with their plan of action.

Secondly, the film brought us the zombie-human-rat. What a fresh idea! Why does every zombie movie just have human zombies? Why not mix zombie with a little rodent? Two words: breath taking. Unfortunately the look wasn't there, but it was a great idea. For the most part, the zombies were still in human form, but this idea may lay the groundwork down for something special in the future.

If you happen to check out any of the After Dark Film's Horrorfest movies, then make sure this is one of them. It starts off a little slow, but just hang in there, it gets better. A lot better. I've liked most of the Masters of Horror one hour movies more than I've liked any of the Horrorfest movies, but M.Street hangs tough with the competition.

Misc. Movie Trivia:
-Shown at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 27, 2007
-Part of the 07' After Dark Horrorfest film festival; shown on November 9, 2007
-DVD release was March 18, 2008

No comments: